Saturday, July 21, 2012

July Julep Maven Box

Hey everyone! 


I received my July Julep Maven box a while back. I've been meaning to post the swatches, I just keep forgetting. Let's start off with the special editions. America the Beautiful and Oh Canada. (Picture heavy everything is below the cut!)


I live in the US and received America the Beautiful in my box. Can I just say how disappointed I was in it? Wow. I didn't really care for it in the pictures simply because I knew it would be a top coat eater. Other than that I was curious as to how it would look swatched. I take my bottle out of the box and notice something. 



Notice that gap? I thought it was a little strange, but nothing a little shaking couldn't resolve. It's like the polish is trapped at the top and won't unstick. Which makes the polish a thick goopy mess. I have the hardest time with this polish. 


It was so hard to work with I didn't even attempt to try to fish out the stars. This is 3 coats. It could be a one coater due to how thick it is, but it kept pulling the glitter as I was painting.


It's a shame because it's so pretty. I actually love the colors a lot more than I thought I would. The blue is so bright that you immediately go to the small blue glitter. I just wish that it wasn't as thick. I wonder if I just got a bad bottle. Sound off in the comments and let me know how your America the Beautiful was.

I wanted Oh Canada so bad! So I bought it as an add on. :)


This is 2 coats of Oh Canada. This is a nice glitter top coat, but it's not good as a single polish as you can see. It looks like it's full of glitter like America the Beautiful is, and maybe that's the problem. Looks can be deceiving. I do love the halo glitter and the red glitter though, it's very pretty, just wish there was more. 


Because it was a thinner polish, the glitter was hard to get off the brush and had to be dotted on a placed. Both of the special edition polishes were sort of disappointing, but only in the formula. They really needed to have them meet in the middle somewhere.

My American Beauty box also had lip gloss in it. Peony is the name and it's a pretty nude color. But there was a problem here too. 


The little stopper that's supposed to pull most of the gloss off of the wand came out of the tube and ran up the wand. As you can see the gloss was all over the wand therefore it would have been a huge wasteful mess. So I cleaned off my wand and then grabbed an Xacto knife and proceeded to stab at the rubber stopper and pull it out of the top of the wand. I not so gently shoved it back in the tube and held it in place for a few seconds. Then it was good as knew. I haven't had this happen again, so I'm hoping it was just a one time thing. Mainly because I love love love this lip gloss. 


I don't know if you guys have noticed this yet, but I'm pale as a ghost. I'm terribly allergic to mosquitos so I don't go outside very often and my skin tone shows it. I swear I reflect. Normally my lips are a pale pink, but this gloss (I keep calling it a polish!!!) give me the right amount of color and shine. It's also not sticky which is a major plus for me. I hate sticky lip gloss. Such a fan of Julep's lip gloss now. I seriously want another one. 

And now back to polish! We have Lynn, which at first glance looked like a pretty pinkish nude polish. Then I swatched it. 


It's such a pretty frosty pink! I love it so much. The formula on it is fantastic and it's not a streaky mess like most frosty polishes are. I love Lynn so much. It's the best polish out of the whole box to be honest. 


So pretty and shiny. I can't get over it. Last in the box was Yumi a crazy glitter bomb of a polish. I left on Lynn and swatched Yumi over it.


Such a pretty scattered Halo glitter. It's perfect for a simple day to night swatch. 2 coats and look at all that glitter.


All in all the special edition polishes almost ruined the box for me. But the core polishes saved the day and I couldn't be happier with Lynn and Yumi. As well as Peony. Even with the issues this don't ruin Julep for me. Their Maven program is outstanding and everything is still usable (I've used America the Beautiful to make polish earrings, let me know if you want a pair!) so no loss there. I'm thinking I just got a bad bottle of America the Beautiful, let me know if you've heard of any issues like mine in the comments. 

Do you want to be a Julep Maven? Come on how can you miss out on these perks?! Not only do you get the monthly box that you can cancel at anytime, but you get a 20% off all products & free shipping. Come be a Julep Maven with me by clicking this link <<here>> and taking their style quiz to see which box is for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment